Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tomatoes- A summer garden staple!

Red Brandywine tomoatoes, mmm, they will ripen soon!  
I love the large leaves and plant growth on this variety!


    A garden just isn't a garden with out tomatoes.  It is one of the staples of a summer garden.  There are so many varieties out there it is hard to choose which ones to grow sometimes.  Determinate, indeterminate, red, orange, yellow, purple, multi-color,striped, small, medium, large, good for eating, good for sauces, etc.  Fortunately, I have a large garden and pantry to fill with tomatoes the ones I grow each year.
     I actually did not start eating tomatoes until a few years ago.  As a child, my family loved sliced tomatoes with sugar sprinkled on top, I always thought it was disgusting.  I would pick tomatoes off of all my food and refused to eat them.  I had a roommate who was pregnant at the time and craved slices of tomatoes with mayonnaise, I would gag watching her eat a whole tomato, one slice at a time.  As I got older, I found myself craving tomatoes, but never really liking them when I would try one, or I would eat 2 bites of a sandwich with them on it, and then pick them off the rest of the sandwich.
     When I started gardening, I grew them because they were easy and my husband loves them.  Each year I would try one or two because they sounded SO good, but they never tasted good to me.  the first time I remember liking a tomato is when I worked at the Benbow Inn.  As a server, I had to know what everything I sold tasted like.  At the time there was an heirloom tomato salad with a basalmic vinigaratte and fresh basil.  It was SO GOOD!  I wish I had the recipe still.  That salad made me realize that I like certain varieties of tomatoes and thus began my search for my favorite tomato!
     For over ten years I have been growing many different varieties in my garden, some I grow each year, others do not impress me and don't get space in my garden another year.  This year I have nine varieties.  I have large bradywines for my husband to make sandwiches with.  Small cherry and pear tomatoes for my family to graze on as wander through the garden.  Some of this year's varieties are recommended for sauces and drying, and many will be used for fresh salsa.    As I wait for mine to get ripe

No comments:

Post a Comment