Saturday, July 28, 2012

Picking a good melon at the store and more...

     I get the strangest looks from people at the grocery store when I am picking my fruits, especially melons and citrus.  Other shoppers glare and stare, while my kids complain, "C'mon Mom! Just pick one!"  When it comes to picking a good pineapple, or other citrus fruit, I smell them.  I smell them right at the spot where they have been broken off of the tree that they grew on.  If it smells yummy, just like you want it to taste, then it will be a good piece of fruit.  If it does not smell or is too ripe, don't bother  buying it.  I choose cantaloupes, crenshaws, and honeydew the same way.  
     Watermelons I choose a little differently, I whack them lightly, kind of a pat or knock.  If they feel like they are going to burst open at any second, I pick them up.  If it is heavier than I expect, I know it will be a good sweet melon. Unless it feels like it is moving inside a bit, or wobbly, then it will be mushy.  At which point I go back to digging through the watermelon bin and lightly whacking each one.  Really, each one feels a little different.  The ones that feel like they will easily break open with a slight whack are always crispier!
     With the price of food these days, and a discerning family who will not settle for just "ok" food, I have to pick through and bring home the best food I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment