Friday, July 13, 2012

Night Fish from Usal Beach





These are night fish or Smelt that we caught with my husband's grandpa's very old dip net.  If you have never had them, they are delicious.  We catch them at certain times of the year when they are "running" and love to eat them fresh, floured, and fried!  To learn more about night fish read this on Ernie's Place or this one at Redheaded Blackbelt.  Both of these posts pretty much say it all about nightfishing.  This year we were fortunate enough to catch them twice and day fish once, so we brought some home.




These are in a brown sugar Worcestershire brine before somiking.  I got the recipe from this website!


This is the smoked fish.  They are yummy!  When we were camping I used some of the smoked night fish to make Smoked Smelt Salad Sandwiches. I mixed up a little mayo, green onion, pepper, and of course, the meat from the smoked night fish.  It was so good with crackers too!


The other recipe we tried is for pickled smelt.  My family really enjoys the wine pickled herring we buy at the store, so we thought we would try to make our own with night fish!  I got the recipe from the Take One Cookbook blog, they are only in their 4th day so we haven't tasted them yet, but I will let everyone know how they turn out.


1 comment: